Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Some babies are not pretty

I'm sorry to be the one to say it. Some babies (and when I say babies I mean kids, too) are not pretty.

Not mine, of course. Moms are biased. We know we are.

Not yours, of course. (See comment about bias, above.)

I blog surf sometimes. Just clicking on links on the sidebar of whatever blog I happen to be on because I like to see where it takes me. I especially like to look at photography blogs. I'm noticing that there are lots and lots of people out there who fancy themselves to be photographers. Some of them are. Some of them are not.

But one thing even a great photographer cannot hide is an ugly kid. They can usually make them look better but it's never quite enough. And I wonder. Do you think the parents know? Does anyone really acknowledge that their child looks a little like Quasimodo with a skin rash? Do the photographers think to themselves, "No way I can make this kid appealing." Do they make the backgrounds more lavish to detract attention from the kid?

Please don't think me mean. I know full well that true beauty lies on the inside. Babies are great, and snuggly and sweet. Some of them just aren't very pretty.

No comments: