Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Not a big tipper

I went to get a pedicure with my sister today. Again. It is something she has talked me into recently although I'm really not that into my feet. I mostly only do this with her. It's a good excuse for some child-free time and it feels pretty good.

So we go into the pedicure place today and get our feet soaking and Pedicure Lady immediately gets to work on my sister's feet. Manicure Man was working on someone else and so I sat for about 8 minutes soaking my feet in the hot water and letting the massager go up-and-down on my back until he was done and came over to fondle my feet. It was nice, I'm not going to complain about that. What I am going to complain about is this. Pedicure Lady and Manicure Man finished up with our feet at almost exactly the same time which means that I got a pedicure that was 8 minutes shorter than my sisters but was charged exactly the same amount. I didn't leave much of a tip. Frankly he's lucky I left a tip at all because as he was painting my toenails I commented that the shade of pink was a little lighter than I thought it would be and he didn't even offer to let me get a different one. I have renamed him Sucky Manicure Man.

Oh, yeah, after we sat under the lights for a few minutes Pedicure Lady came over and removed the little foam thingies from between my sister's toes, helped her on with her sandals (which of course she knew to bring, being a regular, so her toenails wouldn't get messed up) and then walked over to the register and rang her up. I continued with my toes under the lights until she pointed at me (Sucky Manicure Man was nowhere to be seen) and said "You're done" as she stood by the register as I removed the foam thingies from between my own toes and grabbed my boots because that's all I had with me. I didn't put them on. I just wore the funky foam flip flops out to the car. I figured it was the least they could do after such obviously biased service.

In contrast, Darling Manicure Girl, who was working on someone's fingers but had been the one to do my sister's pedicure last time we were there (months ago) said to me, "You've been here before, right? Long time ago. Didn't you have new baby last time? You skinnier now."

I should have given her the tip.

No comments: