Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Patch, or what's left of it.

We went to the pumpkin patch. It was fun. The kids had fun, made messes, irritated people. It was normal.
Let me say this. I get it. It's nature. There's only a certain amount of control that the people running the farm have over what is in the patch when you get there. I'm not mad or anything. Just disappointed. They took us on a hay-wagon ride out to the far side of the universe to the worst pumpkin patch I've ever seen. It was as deep as the grand canyon and inhabited almost exclusively by rotten, cracked and half devoured pumpkins. When we finally did find some that was not already starting to grow mold they were huge. This was a pre-school field trip and the older kids happened to come along. So this is how it went. Gem and Teaser picked pumpkins they could barely lift and argued with me about them until they litterally almost dropped the pumpkins because their arms gave out at which time they stopped arguing and started trying to drop the slightly smaller ones I had found. Diablo ignored the small pumpkin I found after hiking back to the top of the grand canyon and noticing the small, sweetly round pumpkins on the plateau. But by golly we lugged 2 big pumpkins and one small one back to the wagon, then to the car, then to the porch. And yes, all the time Pudge was in the baby carrier.
Don't be fooled by the picture: It's not flat!
You want to see the close ups?














So I didn't manage to fit in any real exercise today but my biceps are rockin' after the pumpkin patch trip and my back is killing me.

No comments: